Warrenville Criminal Defense Attorney Serving Clients
In Illinois, weapons charges fall under an area of the law known as the “unlawful use of weapons.” This Illinois statute (720 ILCS 5/24-1) covers a wide variety of weapons charges that include the possession, manufacture, and sale of firearms. The state of Illinois takes weapons charges extremely seriously, and there are severe penalties upon conviction of these offenses. To give you a sense of the penalties you could be facing upon conviction, a Class A misdemeanor, which can include possession of a firearm, can lead to a jail sentence of up to one year and a fine of up to $2,500. If you are convicted of an aggravated offense, you could be facing decades of prison time. To be sure, a Class 1 felony conviction can result in a prison sentence of up to 15 years, while a Class X felony conviction can lead to up to 30 years in prison.
If you have been charged with a weapons offense, you should speak to an experienced Warrenville criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you begin preparing your defense, the better your chances for avoiding a conviction of the unlawful use of weapons.
Different Types of Weapons Charges in Warrenville
If you are charged with a weapons offense, what does that mean, exactly? Weapons charges vary widely, from a Class A misdemeanor offense of a legal gun possession violation to a Class X aggravated felony that might involve discharging a weapon into an occupied space. Frequent weapons charges can include but are not limited to the following:
- Violation of an otherwise legal gun possession (for instance, taking your legally owned gun outside your place of business or your house);
- Possessing a knuckle weapon;
- Possessing a bomb or other explosive device;
- Possessing a personal firearm, such as a pistol or a rifle;
- Possessing a particularly dangerous firearm, such as a sawed-off shotgun or a machine fun;
- Carrying a firearm while wearing clothes that are intended to disguise your identity, such as a robe, hood, or mask;
- Carrying a firearm into a business that sells intoxicating beverages;
- Carrying a firearm into a public space;
- Carrying a firearm into a government building;
- Manufacturing illegal weapons;
- Selling illegal weapons;
- Discharging a firearm into an occupied building;
- Discharging a firearm at a school;
- Committing a weapons offense as a repeat offender; and
- Committing a weapons offense as a previously convicted felon.
As you can see, there are many very specific weapons charges under Illinois law. As such, building a defense for each type of weapons charge is complicated and specific to your case. When you have been charged with the unlawful use of weapons, it is extremely important to discuss your defense with an experienced Warrenville weapons charges lawyer.
Contact an Experienced Weapons Charges Lawyer in Warrenville
Have you been charged with the unlawful use of weapons in Illinois? It is important to recognize that you are facing very serious charges that are accompanied by steep penalties in the event that you are convicted. Do not hesitate to discuss your case with a dedicated weapons charges attorney in Warrenville. Our firm has experience handling weapons charges cases and can discuss your options with you today. Contact the LaPapa Law Group to learn more about our services.